It may seem strange to see your plants thrive in a container which uses a nutrient solution instead of soil but hydroponic gardening is becoming very popular because of these fantastic results.
This system can be used for growing plants outdoors but it’s also a great way to grow plants indoors too and has many advantages.
Firstly, what can be grown in an indoor hydroponics system? Well any plant which grows in the garden can be used with vegetables, herbs and some berries being the most popular.
How do the plants grow? The conventional soil is replaced with a growing medium such as perlite, rockwool, vermiculite or peat moss which holds the roots, then nutrients, water and oxygen are supplied directly to the roots. Alternatively, the roots are suspended and bathed with a mist. The nutrients are provided by the watering system rather than the soil.
There are several different methods of hydroponic gardening; some require a pump and a timer to circulate the nutrients to the roots several times a day or the roots can be sprayed with a fine mist of nutrient solution every few minutes. You should do some research to see which system will be the most suitable for you.
Hydroponics is recognized as producing the largest amount of crops from the smallest amount of space. In a hydroponic garden the roots do not have to spread, as in soil, to seek food because the nutrients are applied directly. The smaller root system means that plants can be planted closer together.
On top of this, plants grown in a hydroponics system don’t have to waste energy searching for food and water; this is fed to the roots directly, so they can put all their energy into growing. This allows a more rapid growth and results in stronger healthier plants.
Of course you have to take time with the initial setup but the results will be well worth it. You will need to ensure the temperature is around 70º-76ºF and maybe install a humidifier as plants like humidity. To get the best from your plants you must provide light; natural light is best but grow lights are available and can be set up very successfully.
Some of the advantages of an indoor hydroponics system are:
1. Hot, cold, rain or shine you won’t have to be concerned with outdoor conditions; you are in complete control and can produce fruits, vegetables and herbs at any time of the year, even if there is snow outside or you live in the desert
2. You will have no big water bills as the water is reused within the system
3. The systems can be fully automated saving you a lot of time if you lead a busy lifestyle yet still want to grow wonderful flowers and vegetables ydroponics wholesaler
4. There will be no more digging or weeding, say goodbye to the aching back
5. You should have no problems with soil borne pests or insects
6. There is no danger of the land becoming nutrient deficient from constant use
7. Your crops will not contain any harmful pesticides
Hydroponic gardening is a great idea if you live in an apartment, don’t have room in your backyard for a garden or just want to grow plants when you feel like it irrespective of the season. Why not give it a try?